Friday, 7 October 2011

Things I would expect to see in the first two minutes of a film

The things I would expect in the first two minutes of a horror film would be a great story opening so everyone would be able to understand what is going on, rather than being confuse of what’s happening until the middle. However this is a technique that is used in most horrors and thrillers which help them to keep suspense going throughout the film, for example Mirrors and let me in.
I would also expect to have a good understanding of the main character and the characters around them (how the extra characters help the main character/characters tell the story). So you would know what to expect later on in the film and I would also like to see a stable setting, meaning I would like to know how the area corresponded to the story line.


 
In addition to that, I would expect to see at lot of darkness, blood and distorted images. The darkness creates a sense of venerability, and fear as you wouldn't be able to see whats coming or whats going on, whilst the blood represents death in its own way as everyone needs blood to survive, and if a large amount of blood is seen it saws people that someone or a great deal of people has been killed or tortured. And distorted makes everything feel unbalanced and gives the impression that something is wrong. 


Other things you may see would be disturbing freaky images like the picture on the right for example. The smile is out of place as he should be in a great deal of pain which makes you feel really unsettled. This is used in many horrors and thrillers, which may be a useful image to use in my work as it should make viewers feel unease. Another thing is to scare people when they are not expecting it.
Music helps give an uneasy atmosphere and builds tension. Also gives a warning that something may happen, mainly stringed instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment